anderlawlor

Madame Bovary
Gustave Flaubert, Lydia Davis
Siddhartha
Hermann Hesse, Hilda Rosner
Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays)
Henry David Thoreau
Margaret Killjoy, Kim Stanley Robinson
Footnotes in Gaza
Joe Sacco

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan Oh how this book made me sad. Having worked for years in bookstores, one glorious bookstore in San Francisco (what's up Dog Eared!) in particular, I approached MR. PENUMBRA'S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE with hopes for a good time. Like the narrator, I've worked in the web industrial complex (in the first boom in NY), I spent a portion of my childhood playing D&D, I read a lot of fantasy as a kid, and I think smart girls are hot. Seems like I'm a ready-made fan, right?Unlike the narrator, though, I'm not interested in a book-length ad for Google Inc, I don't think of books as containing codes to be cracked, I don't think an awesome career path is to leave bookstore clerking in order to OPEN A CONSULTANCY, and I don't applaud the ingenuity of someone taking a used bookstore and TURNING IT INTO A CLIMBING GYM!!!! I don't want to be a hater, because I can see the author's very real affection for books and bookstores coming through. I would bet he's a really nice guy who I would like if I met him. And don't misunderstand: I heart the web, really I do, and I don't think the web is the end of print books or novels or whatever. But I do think the web is affecting how people read and write, and I think MR. PENUMBRA'S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE might be some evidence that this effect is not always so great. For me, the very best thing about this book, which I wanted so much to love but really just couldn't, was its truly clever and magical dust jacket. I love the dust jacket so much I won't even spoil it.